There are 2 standard ways to backup the contents of your iPhone: iTunes backup and iCloud backup. This guide will show you how to perform an iTunes backup.
Back Up iPhone to iTunes
- Open iTunes and connect your device to your computer.
- If a message asks for your device passcode or to Trust This Computer, follow the onscreen steps. If you forgot your passcode, this article has some solutions (you might loose some data if you can’t unlock the device).
- Select your iPhone, iPad, or iPod when it appears in iTunes.
- Important Note: If you want to save Health and Activity data from your iOS device or Apple Watch, you need to encrypt your backup: Select the box called Encrypt [device] backup and create a memorable password.
- Click “Back Up Now” button to start the backup process
Verify Your Backup in iTunes
Once the backup is complete, you can verify completion and see your backup listed in iTunes by opening Preferences > Devices. (If you’re using iTunes for Windows, choose Edit > Devices from the menu bar at the top of the iTunes window.) You should see the name of your device with the date and time that iTunes created the backup. If you chose to encrypt your backup, you should see a lock icon next to your device name.