Samsung SmartThings Hub: Getting Started
What is a Smart Home Hub?
At the center of every smart home is a “hub”. A hub is a physical device that communicates with each individual smart-home device in your network. One of the most popular, and my personal favorite smart home hub is Samsung SmartThings hub.
With SmartThings, you can use sensors and buttons (like these) to trigger actions throughout your home. If you’re starting from scratch, with a completely “dumb” house, you’ll want to get at least 1 sensor or switch to get started.
Get Started with SmartThings
The SmartThings hub is available on Amazon for $85 (plus free 2-day shipping for Prime members), or directly from Samsung for $90.
The starter kit includes:
- 1x SmartThings Hub
- 1x SmartThings Wall Outlet Switch
- 1x SmartThings Motion and Temperature Sensor
- 2x SmartThings Window/Door Contact Sensors
Before You Start
In this guide, we’ll walk through the basic setup steps for Samsung SmartThings. There are a few things you’ll need before we get started:
- WiFi Internet in your home
- 1 available ethernet port on your router
- 1 available outlet to plug in SmartThings hub
- 1 iOS or Android mobile phone (we’re using iOS)
- 1 SmartThings Hub
- 20 minutes of free time